🐔 A 1990 view of the Spruce Street entrance on the north end of North Market in #Columbus. The unique structure was a Quonset hut constructed in 1948 after a fire destroyed the first North Market building.
Columbus Navigator
@columbusnavigator.bsky.social
Since 2017. Tips/news: hello@columbusnavigator.com The best daily newsletter in Columbus 👉 https://www.columbusnavigator.com/subscribe/
🛍 The 1960's view looking south on High St. in downtown #Columbus, featuring Lazarus, at the time one of the country's largest and most innovative department stores.
📊 1950 #Columbus Census enumeration district maps. An Enumeration District was an area that a census taker could completely cover within two weeks in cities. Zoom to view the districts and what Columbus looked like mid-century.
⛽️ A Sohio gas station on the west side of #Columbus in 1976. The view is looking west on Sullivant Avenue from South Hague Avenue. The Westgate Drive-In Restaurant can be seen beyond the Sohio.
🍹 The Kahiki Supper Club, located in Eastmoor on Broad Street, was one of the largest Polynesian-themed restaurants in the world. The restaurant was unlike anything else in the #Columbus area and left its mark on generations of people who grew up and lived in Columbus.
🏗 The 1923 construction of Central High School in downtown #Columbus. The Columbus skyline can be seen across the river.
🛍 A 1980s view of the enclosed walkway in the Lane Avenue Shopping Center. The shops were built in the late '40s as a shopping strip and later enclosed in 1980. A renovation in 2002-2003 removed the enclosed walkway, after which the shopping center was renamed the Shops on Lane Avenue. #columbus
✨ A portion of downtown #Columbus, as it would have looked in the late 1930's/early 1940's. Viewable, from left to right, are City Hall, the LeVeque-Lincoln Tower and the Ohio State Office Building. The vantage point is the other side of the Scioto River.
🥤 An early 80's look at a portion of downtown #Columbus. The view is looking east on East Long Street from North High. Notable in the photo are the Atlas Building, a Coca-Cola advertisement, and signs for Chef's Corner, Levison's, Chicks Camera Exchange, and AAA Travel Agency.
🏡 One of the grandest homes in #Columbus history, the Francis Sessions home on East Broad St. was built in 1840 and featured an impressive cupola and an attached conservatory.
🚦 A stretch of South High St. in downtown #Columbus with many notable businesses visible, including Lazarus, Woolworth's, and more.
🌳 Looking east along Livingston Avenue near the intersection with James Road on the east side of #Columbus, as it looked in 1950.
🏗 An aerial photo of #Columbus from 1922 or 1923. The construction of Central High School can be seen in-progress.
🚁 A 1950's aerial look at U.S. Route 23 (South High Street) just south of #Columbus. St. Joseph Cemetery can be seen in the middle right of the photo. Just above is the Shady Manor Motel and the large oval just above that is a horse farm.
🧭 A beautiful hand colored 1864 map of #Ohio. A. J. Johnson’s map shows cities, topographical features, railways, ferries and roads with color coding at the county level. This map was created for Johnson's atlas and was much changed from the previous edition following a boom in Ohio's population.
💦 A view of a very different #Columbus riverfront: the old Bicentennial Park fountain in-action. Bicentennial was a 4.7-acre park dedicated July 4, 1976, in honor of the United States' 200th anniversary celebration. The fountain could shoot water sixty feet into the air.
🏢 LeVeque Tower, in downtown #Columbus with Broad Street and the Scioto River in the background, as it all looked in 1976.
🚃 The last day of electric street rail transportation in 1948 sees a #Columbus & Southern Ohio Electric Company car operating on East Main Street in Bexley, just outside of the Drexel Theatre.
🚋 Conductors wait for passengers on the Livingston Ave. streetcar in 1916. #Columbus had streetcars from 1863 (horse drawn for the first 27 years) until 1948 when the last streetcar was converted to trolley coach, meaning Columbus had rails embedded in the streets for 85 years.
🏡 The grand home of #Columbus area grocer Chas Wheeler, designed by architect Frank Packard and constructed in 1895. This house still stands today at 354 West 6th Avenue in the University District.
The Santa Maria as it stood in downtown #Columbus in 2013. The replica of the 15th century exploration ship was moored downtown on the Scioto River for 23 years before it's removal in 2014.
🏗 A downtown #Columbus parking lot near what is now the Arena District, as it looked in 1979. Construction cranes can be seen in the middle distance.
🛒 A Gold Circle department store in #Columbus (Olentangy River Rd.) in the 1980's. Gold Circle was a discount department store headquartered in Worthingon. Founded in 1967, the chain eventually expanded to 76 stores before closing in 1988.