The Signet Library

@signetlibrary.bsky.social

The Signet Library in Edinburgh, the home of the WS Society, is a world class centre of knowledge and learning in law and the history and culture of Scotland.

Everyone at the WS Society mourns the passing of James Mackay, Lord Mackay of Clashfern KT, aged 99, whose death was announced on Tuesday. Truly a titan of the law and a wonderful man. We send our sincere condolences to Lady Mackay and all her family.

A portrait of James Mackay, Lord Mackay of Clashfern KT in his black and gold embroidered robes as Keeper of the Signet.

We're delighted to announce the completion of a cataloguing project led by Dr. Kit Baston to remap & record our unique and important collection of pamphlets and ephemera by the great Georgian Edinburgh eccentric William Mitchel, the "Tincklarian Doctor." www.wssociety-heritage.co.uk/tincklariand...

The Tincklarian Doctor’s Pamphlets: The William Mitchel Collection at the Signet Library – The WS Society Heritage Portal

wssociety-heritage.co.uk

The entrance hall of the Signet Library from a 1925 Country Life photograph newly donated to the Library. The decoration scheme was put in by architect Robert Rowan Anderson in 1908 - in colour in Patrick Adam's 1920 painting on the right - which would endure into the 1960s.

An entrance hall showing a central staircase, ionic pillars and to the right a tall clock.A painting in earth tones of a staircase leading up to a wall holding a portrait of a standing man. Three men in legal gowns stand on the staircase framed by ionic columns.

Signet Library graffiti left by craftspeople from the 1850s into the Great War period behind the cases in the Upper Hall. The names and signatures of painters, glaziers and related trades in paint and pencil on the unpainted timber surface.

BildBildBildBild

Today's bookpost: the final three volumes of Sir John Baker's magisterial Seldon Society edition of the notebooks of the great English lawyer Sir Edward Coke (1552-1634), shown beside a selection of Coke's works from Signet Library collections.

The three blue hardback volumes of Coke's notebooks with the Signet Library's Upper West Library visible beyond.Coke's 1612 "Book of Entries" alongside three volumes of his Institutes of the Laws of England with engraved portraits of Coke.

A progress report on our John Watson's Institution archive project, funded by the fantastic Old Edinburgh Club Jean Guild grants scheme. We are on the hunt for a portrait - can you help?

Old Edinburgh Club@oldedinburghclub.bsky.social · last yr.

Update on the @signetlibrary.bsky.social Project on the John Watsons archives, funded by an OEC Jean Guild Grant, is on our website. We are also trying to find this painting of Vans Hathorn which used to hang in the school. Anyone know? #johnwatsons #watsons oldedinburghclub.org.uk/john-watson-...

Alexander Mill, "Prince of Indexers", assistant librarian at the Signet Library for over sixty years (1873-1935), with his grandson c. 1930. The last here to remember David Laing, Mill's index to Scottish Court of Session Papers is still in constant use, the only one of its kind.

An elderly man sits on a stone wall cradling a young child.

Congratulations to all involved in the superb new Aberdeen Student Law Review, especially to our former WS Summer Scholars Christiana Cameron, Valentina Menendez Ron and Matthew Paton. Lady Dorrian writes that it “demonstrates the strength of legal scholarship and analysis at the University”

Bild

This may be the only surviving copy of this 1770s proposal for woollen manufacture in Dundee: we can't trace more, and given that this predates jute in Dundee, we wonder if a digital facsimile might be of interest to e.g. the Verdant Works, the universities and city library, the McManus Gallery etc?

Title page of 1777 pamphlet reading A scheme for establishing and carrying on the woollen manufacture in Dundee. Printed by T. Colvill 1777.Internal pages of a 1777 pamphlet about woollen manufacture in Dundee. The pages are decorated by printer's borders and indented capitals.The final page of a pamphlet encouraging the establishment of woollen manufacture in Dundee, which ends in saying that printed copies were to be handed out for free and subscriptions to be taken at the shops of James More and Robert Nicoll, booksellers in Dundee. Dated April 28th 1777.